Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Make Your Own Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup

Do you know what's in a can of cream of mushroom soup? I don't know either. What I do know is that I feel better about using it when I make it myself. So here is my recipe. Please note that this is for condensed soup, like what you put in a casserole or something. Not something you just put in a bowl and eat by it's self.

Also, you'll notice I'm not using home aid stock. So this isn't quite as "pure" as it could be. I'm getting there I promise! Someday!

I've found that the most effect way to make this is to do large batches, so you don't waste your time! So here is a recipe for about 6 cans.

Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup:
2 sticks of butter
2 cups of flour
4 cups of chicken stock/broth
4 cups of milk
Salt & Pepper
2 cups of chopped mushrooms



Wash and chop up those mushrooms... how ever chopped you like them.


Next, slice the butter. That makes it melt faster! I know it's a lot of butter, but this is for six cans!

In a big soup pot, cook butter and mushrooms until the butter is melted and mushrooms are soft.


Add the flour and stir together. It'll become thick and gooey.... that's what you want!



Slowly add stock while stirring or whisking to avoid lumps. Bring to a boil and cook a few min. until it's thickened.


Add milk, salt, and pepper. The great part is you can control your salt! Stir until combined and thick. The goal is to get it the consistency of what you see in a can. If it's still a little to runny after 5 to 10 min of cooking, mix some cornstarch and water together and add to the soup. Cook for a few more min. Take off the heat and even chill for a while if needed.


This is about what you want it to look like.

After the soup has completely cooled or even chilled ladle into ziplock freezer bags in 1.25 cup portions. Freeze it! When you need to use one, simply put it in the fridge over night or during the day to let it thaw.

This is a good project for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. It's way easier to have it made before you even think you need it than to try whipping it up when you need it.

Enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment