Thursday, November 8, 2012

a great impact

It's funny how in November so many of us start to get in more of a thankful spirit. I personally like that we have certain months to remind us of certain things. For example:

January: goals
February: love
March/April: Christ's death and resurrection
July: our country's independence
November: thankfulness
December: the birth of Christ

Some people have told me that they don't like putting so much focus on things like that for a short period of time, because those are things we should think about all of the time. But I personally really appreciate these times to really focus on such subjects. Of course, I try to remember them all of the time... but I like having a special time to think about them even more.

I've been doing the popular challenge on facebook, to post something your thankful for every day of November. Today I posted about how thankful I am for christian music.

I've been thinking about it all evening. Of course, I enjoy other music... believe me... when I hear "Chicken Fried" pull up on my itunes I jam out like there is no tomorrow! And I'll still sing Crazy Train at the top of my lungs when Blake and I are road tripping. The point is NOT that I think everything else is wrong.

The point is that christian music has been very encouraging to me during this transitional phase in my life.

Last year, I committed to only listening to christian music when I was driving. It had been a slow process getting to that point. It all began with throwing away a trashy CD (that had been my favorite) when I was a freshman in college.

As a senior in high school, there was a concert I wanted to go to SOO bad. When my daddy wanted to view the band's website.... I knew I was headed for trouble. I was embarrassed as he read the lyrics to their songs. He told me about some of the songs he listened to when he was a kid... he loved the rhythm and the tune so much but when he listened to the words.... he knew he was singing along to something that was sinful. He said he'll never be able to forget those words. Needless to say I was never aloud to go to the concert.

Out of all of the moments I've had with my parents growing up... I think that one conversation had the most impact on me. In my life timeline... it deserves a big star. Because I was never the same after that. In all this time I've continued to progress in my desire to be an authentic christian. But that was truly what spurred it on the most.

Through all of the ups and downs that being an emotional girl brings, the one thing that keeps me sane is knowing that I'm in the Lord's presence.

Christian music reminds me of that. If I ever have a bad day... I turn the radio on to KLOVE or a good playlist of songs that remind me that God is near and is filling my life with blessings. In the morning, it's hard to start of grumpy if I've listened to Toby Mac's Good Morning song or "Learning to Be the Light". If I'm feeling anxious, all it takes is listening to "Where I Belong". If I'm feeling in the pits... it's hard to smile to "I'm so happy" or "Shine" by the Newsboys.

The point is.... I'm SO thankful christian music because it's been such a blessing in my life. It helps me connect to God. It preaches to me better than ANY sermon ever will. It helps me speak and pray to God. It reminds me to be thankful. It reminds me that I'm His child. It reminds me of His love. It helps me see His love.

What a blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment