Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunday Dinner

There are so many things that I love about the south, and Sunday dinner is one of them. I did not grow up eating fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and home-aid rolls on Sunday afternoons, but we always enjoyed a "larger than normal meal" either at home or with friends. I have found that I love cooking big meals on Sunday!

I like to go all out (as much as I can) and really make it special. I set the table with care, and I put on my apron.... and I make Blake wait a long time! I really don't understand how big Sunday meals became so popular in the bible belt. How and why did they start cooking these meals after church all the time? I don't really know but I enjoy keeping the tradition.


Today for "dinner" we had salad, baked potatoes (which I will tell you all about!) and get ready for this.... meatloaf. Now, don't worry I won't be offended if your first reaction to this is less than excited. When Blake asked me what was for lunch today, he was less than thrilled when he found out. This is not your ordinary meatloaf though, and I'm happy to report that he was extremely pleased in the end.

I've had meatloaf maybe one time in my entire life. I've certainly never made it before today. I decided to make it because I was running out of ideas for ground beef and I figured why not. It is a southern staple after all. I used PW's recipe... sorta. I'm becoming a bit more like my daddy and I'm starting to venture from the recipe. So I did a couple things different and I used BBQ sauce, because I sorry overly sweet ketchup is just not my thing. Ketchup is not my thing... unless it's topped with lots of cheese and on top of a hotdog or burger. But anyways, this meatloaf was pretty darn good. (But I used ground sirloin... which I'm telling you... makes everything way better!)
Take a look.



There... that doesn't look so bad does it? It's just ground sirloin with some goodness mixed with it, wrapped in bacon, and smothered in BBQ sauce. It's delicious.

Now for the potatoes... I'll admit I didn't take loving care to. I found the coolest thing ever though at the grocery store.

These things are wonderful! I used them for the first time today. Here is what I did to make incredible "baked" potatoes.

- Stabbed 3 medium golden potatoes with a fork a few times
-Rubbed EVOO on them
-Sprinkled them all over with Kosher salt
-Placed them in the steam bag
-Cooked in the microwave for 7 min.
-Waited a couple of min.
-Put them on a plate

That's right... baked potatoes in 7 min. And they were so good!

I love making Sunday dinners, I can't deny it. I love the tradition of it and the togetherness that it brings. There is just a lot of joy around a table full of good food. Hope y'all have a great week!

I couldn't resist...

No comments:

Post a Comment