Friday, January 27, 2012

Rudy


I absolutely love the movie Rudy? Please tell me you've seen it..... I thought it was an American classic. Apparently it isn't because my husband hadn't seen it before he met me and I forced him to sit through it with me.

I like almost every sports movie... but Rudy is my favorite of it's kind.

Set in the 1960's and 70's... it tells the tale of a boy who sets out to accomplish his life long dream of playing football for the University of Notre Dame. His whole life he is told he'll never be able to do it. He was told by his teachers, by his brothers, and by his dad. The only person who ever believed in him was his best friend. Rudy didn't make good grades (due to being dyslexic), he was short, weighed 160 pounds- it seems like he has nothing going for him, but it's his heart that helps him achieve.

One of the things that I love about this movie is that it teaches the principle my daddy has always taught me.

It never hurts to ask. It never hurts to introduce yourself and let them know you're interested. 


I watched Rudy this weekend, and I haven't watched it in a while. There was a scene that really stuck out to me.

Let me set you up for it: It's Rudy's last year... he's worked SO hard to even get into the school, much less the football team. It's the last game of his senior year and he's not on the list to dress for the game. His family has never believed that he was on the team because they couldn't see him come on the field. He was never allowed to dress. So he quit the team. Now.... watch this clip!

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE CLIP

My favorite part is when he says, "You're going to walk out of here with a degree from the University of Notre Dame, in this lifetime you don't have to prove anything to anyone".... or he says something like that.

Wow. It's so powerful.

Here is what I took away-- Don't quit on your dreams. Do the best you can, recognize your achievements and be proud of them. 


If you haven't ever seen Rudy, you should. You're guaranteed to fill a tissue, feel empowered, and witness one of the greatest inspirational stories of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment