Saturday, September 2, 2017

Claire's Birth Story

Our family has grown! Oh, the joy that has come with the arrival of our sweet Claire Lucille! 


It was the middle of the night. I was only a couple of days away from our scheduled date to be induced. Still, my body had been showing signs of readiness and we knew I could go into labor at any time. I woke up just a bit before 3 AM on Saturday, August 19th. I felt a little "pop" inside me and thought that perhaps my water had broken. I got up to use the restroom and determined that it hadn't broken, but I was feeling a sharp lower back pain, quite similar to what I felt before Kate was born. A couple of minutes passed and I felt the pain come on again. It was uncomfortable, but manageable, and somehow God gave me the intuition to know it was time. 



I woke up Blake and told him that I thought it was time. I called over my cousin Jenny and then we got dressed and got the car packed up. It was a calm drive as my back contractions come very close together. Just before 4 AM we pulled up to the emergency room at Mercy. I was able to walk and talk, but I was still thankful for the wheelchair. We got signed in and walked into a triage room at which point I began to feel sick, which continued for the rest of my labor. They left me to change clothes and as we were waiting for them to return, my contractions began to feel like one never ending intense pain. I was trying to tell myself I'd still be able to get the epidural, but I knew I'd missed the window. 




They were tending to another mom about to give birth, probably assuming I was fine because I was able to talk and didn't seem too bad when they left me, but by the time they returned I was not fine. I was wallowing in pain like a dramatic movie star. They worked to get me hooked up to the monitors and tried to check my dilation- which was difficult because my contractions were no longer letting up. She tried twice and estimated I was at a 7, I was told my water broke during this time, I was not aware of this though. They knew they needed to get me into a labor and delivery room ASAP so they started moving quickly and before I knew it I was being wheeled down the hall. The breeze felt so so good as I felt very hot. As we were getting on the elevator my body began to compulsively push the most intense pushes I've ever felt. I was scared. They were telling me to breath which made me nervous that I was breathing wrong and was going to have trouble. I had no idea what I was doing! But I definitely felt the baby starting to make her way out as they wheeled me into the new room. 

We got inside and they needed me to roll over into a different bed. Ha! I cried and asked "Do I really have to?" Yes, I had to. Somehow I did. At this point I knew the case for the epidural was long gone and I was scared to have a natural birth- I didn't feel prepared! This baby was coming though- ready or not. They asked me to lie on my back, which I could not do so I asked to stay on my side. They helped support my legs and in two very fast pushes our baby girl had arrived. My OB got there just afterwards to take care of the rest. (A different doctor had helped me deliver.)

I was in so much pain for the next few days, but oh that precious moment when I first saw our girl. I cried and just whispered, "Thank you" over and over again to God. 
God had helped me through it and she was perfect. 

Claire Lucille Jesch 
Born August 19, 2017 at 4:35 AM 
7 lb, 11 oz
20 in




The recovery was much more intense this time around, apparently that's what happens with your second pregnancy. I am so blessed to have Blake by my side, who considers it his role to help me in every way possible. He is up with me at every night feeding, helping me change diapers, or fetching what I need, but mostly offering his support. It can feel so overwhelming and even isolating caring for a newborn, especially in the night, but thankfully we are in this together. 


Sweet Kate loves her baby sister. Her eyes light up, and I love hearing her in the other room saying, "Where's my sister?" She oohs and ahh over her little features and loves to give her hugs and kisses. She enjoys helping us, and is doing such a great job learning to have soft hands and a quiet voice. 




Life is so different as a family of four, but here we are, the four of us. It's amazing how quickly that feels normal and right. We've had time with both sets of grandparents, which has been a huge blessing for all of us. A couple of weeks ago the thought of being on my own with the two girls was scary but now I feel ready to find our groove. It's amazing how God sustains us and helps us step by step. I know He is with us as go forward in this new phase of life. We are so thankful! 
To God be the glory! 



Claire Lucille: A bright, bringer of light 

Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:16




1 comment: