Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Savory Couscous

I want to share with you one of my favorite side dishes on this earth... OK... my favorite healthy side dish. Have you ever had couscous? It's granular semolina... which is the flour that's used in a variety of pastas. You usually find it in the rice section of your grocery store... or the organic and health food sections. 

I grew up eating couscous with my mom. My favorite kind is parmesan... yum yum! I could eat a whole pot of it in one setting but I didn't have to with this recipe because the husband actually loved this stuff! He asked me what it was and I said, "It's a type of pasta"-- hehe he ate it!

This is SUPER fast... start to finish I'd say 10 min.  Here is what you'll need! 

organic chicken broth, 3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms, 1/4 cup shredded carrots, 1/4 cup sliced green onions, 1 TB butter, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp thyme, 1 cup quick cooking couscous (I like Near East)

*I put slightly more carrots and mushrooms in mine and it was fine! 


Put all ingredients except for couscous in the pot. Bring to a boil.  


 It should only take a couple of minutes to start boiling. Then add the couscous and stir it up! 

Cover. Remove from heat. Sit for 5 min. I know... it's soo difficult.  


Time's up! Looks great! If for some reason there is still liquid... cover it for a couple more minutes.  


Fluff with fork.  


 Taste. I added about 1/4 tsp of kosher salt. (Organic low sodium salt has hardly any salt in it so I can control how much I want. You probably won't need to add any if you use non-organic broth)

Serve it up with some chicken for a savory dinner. Or eat a bowl by itself for a satisfying lunch! 

I really really hope you will try it because it's soo tasty! 
5 WW plus points per serving

Savory Couscous
Better Homes and Gardens Anyone Can Cook

1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup sliced green onion
1 TB butter
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
1 cup quick cooking couscous

1. In a 2-2.5 qt sauce pan bring all ingredients but couscous to boil Stir in couscous. Remove from heat.  

2. Cover and let stand for 5 min or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork. 

Makes 4 servings 

3 comments:

  1. That would be low sodium broth* not low sodium salt.... that would make no sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What does this taste like?

      Delete
    2. It's sorta like rice... but softer. It takes on the flavor of however you season it. I know it seems weird but it's really yummy!

      Delete