Wednesday, December 7, 2011

perfect peace

A few weeks ago a dear friend of the family gave me a book by Sarah Young called "Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence". It has short daily readings that are written like Jesus is directly speaking to you. I tend to read it right before I go to bed so I can ponder it as I try to go to sleep. Tonights was so moving to me that I had to share it with you all.

I know I'm sure to be breaking some sort of copyright law but because hardly anyone reads my blog and I'm not taking any credit for it and because it's so good.... I'm willing to take that risk!

"I am with you in all that you do, even in the most menial task. I am always aware of you, concerned with every detail of your life. Nothing escapes My notice- not even the number of hairs on your head. However, your awareness of My Presence falters and flickers; as a result, your life experience feels fragmented. When your focus is broad enough to include Me in your thoughts, you feel safe and complete. When your perception narrows so that problems or details fill your consciousness, you feel empty and incomplete.

Learn to look steadily at Me in all your moments and all your circumstance. Though the world in unstable and in flux, you can experience continuity through your uninterrupted awareness of My Presence. Fix your gaze on what is unseen, even as the visible world parades before your eyes."

Wow... I don't think there is a more fitting thought for me to read. Now, I am very thankful for my current job, but there are many times when I feel shame in being an aid... a lunch lady. I certainly did not want that for my future when I was in high school. (I'm just being real with you). When I first started my job, I met a wonderful woman who is also an aid. We both studied religious matters in school and are in a little bit of the same situation. Her positive attitude and continual reference to the Lord has helped me to see God at work in my life through this job, and has helped me to find the blessing in it. And when I'm focusing on how God is working in my life I feel completely at peace.

In reality, from time to time, I get distracted from my God and His purpose and I grow anxious and unhappy with myself. I loose sight of the unseen because I'm only focusing on what I can see right now.

At the beginning of the year I made a resolution to focus on the word "peace". I think the greatest lesson I've experienced this year is that true peace ONLY comes from finding God at work in your life. For feeling God's presence in my life has brought about the greatest sense of peace I could have ever hoped for.

So go back and read that excerpt from the book and give it another thought. I hope you'll find encouragement in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment