Thursday, September 20, 2012

conquer

"I am writing to you, young people, because He has given you the power to conquer the evil one."
~ 1 John 2:13b

It's one thing to focus on the Lord's presence in my life. It's a whole other thing to think about "the evil one's" presence in my life. I absolutely shutter at the thought that Satan might be present in my life, but the fact of the matter is that I face evil every day. We all do. 

I'm not saying that Satan is evident in our life. I'm saying that he is present in our life. If think he isn't... please go on and tell me about that. But every time I'm tempted to say something I shouldn't or think something I shouldn't I'm assuming that the evil one is definitely lurking around. 

I love that verse above. That particular version is from The Voice, which sort of translates the scriptures into a way that lets you understand the context a little bit better. Originally, the Greek translates it closer to, "I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil (one)". 

But how did they overcome evil? 

They overcame the evil one because, through Christ, God gave them the power to conquer. 

Choosing to follow Christ allows me to conquer the evil one. 

As I face temptations on a daily basis, I must realize that I am facing the evil one. When I realize that I'm not just facing a temptation, I'm facing Satan, himself, I can choose to deny him. I can choose to take Christ's side. 

I'm so glad that I've come across this verse. When I'm faced with temptation not only will I try to remember that the temptation is from Satan, but I will try to remember this verse. 

God has empowered us so that we can defeat the evil one! 



No comments:

Post a Comment