Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tuesday Tunes

I've written about this song before. It's one of my favorites, and by the grace of the Lord, I find it when it seems that I need it most. 

The last time I "found" this song, it was a time when I was striving to be perfect. Wishing so badly that I could be a little kinder, more soft spoken, thinner, smarter, patient, neater... basically a picture perfect image. The song helped me see that all of the laws I tried to create for myself not only didn't work... but left me aching inside. I needed to focus on Christ. 

Today I write because it found me again, but in a different way. Showing me this time that if I truly want God's will to be be done in my life then I have to allow His spirit which I've accepted into my heart to truly shine through me. To truly shine through the sinful nature that seems to embody me. It's the only way. 

I can keep fighting myself with who I think I am verses who God wants me to be. Or I can give up my identity and be who God wants me to be- and that is a living and breathing radiance of Him and His splendor. 

My favorite verse in the whole entire bible hints at this too:

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." ~ 1 Peter 2:9

And Matthew 5:14 reminds of what we are:

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden."

Light. Overcomes. Darkness. 


Read the lyrics and listen to the song. It's an absolute beautiful piece. I hope it speaks to you! :-) Click here to hear the song: Own Me by Ginny Owens
(If you are reading this from my actual blog link & not e-mail, you can click the video at the bottom of the post to hear the song)

Own Me
Ginny Owens 

Got a stack of books,
So I could learn how to live;
Many are left half-read, 
Covered by the cobwebs on my shelf.
And I got a list of laws,
Growing longer everyday;
If I keep pluggin' away, 
Maybe one day I'll perfect myself.
Oh, but all of my labor, 
Seems to be in vain;
And all of my laws, 
Just cause me more pain;
So I fall before You, 
In all of my shame;
Ready and willing to be changed-

Chorus:
Own me
Take all that I am,
And heal me
With the blood of the Lamb.
Mold me 
With Your gracious hand;
Break me till I'm only Yours-
Own me

Oh, you call me Daughter,
And you take my blame;
And you run to meet me,
When I cry out Your name,
So I fall before You,
In all of my shame.
Lord, I am willing to be changed

Chorus



No comments:

Post a Comment